Monday, November 1, 2010

Objectified


I recently watched a film called OBJETIFIED in class, and I was shocked by how much Gary Hustwit’s 2009 documentary opened my eyes to the stories behind the objects that completely consume me. I have never really stopped to think about their story or the detail that is embedded in everything that is around me; my coffee cup, my laundry basket, computer, lamp, remotes etc.  This film brought to my attention what I have taken for granted in the toothbrush I use every mourning, or the hairbrush I use. Everything has been designed to fit my needs, and good design is innovative, useful, consistent in every detail, and ironically has as little design as possible. Design is a search for form, and the form that hits the shelves needs to make my life easier. This is what keeps consumers coming back for more, and what makes new products so desirable. For example, Apple has designed such innovative and aesthetic products that we have become almost dependent upon them. However,  Apple’s design makes me believe that this is how an IPod was always supposed to be. I am convinced that my laptop shouldn’t operate any other way because they have found such harmony within design. It is because of this film that I cannot help but gaze upon the objects in my room and ponder their story, their process into production.  How they came to be, and I cannot help but reflect upon how much I truly rely on the little things in life; the objects that surround me and assist me through my daily life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment