Sunday, October 10, 2010

Show Me the Light- Creativity From Without

    Image Source: photo taken by Victoria Deely

    After wondering into an overwhelming Urban Outfitters, and after browsing through the sea of bizarre clothes and contraptions, I walked up the stairs to an unusual sight. Urban Outfitters is known for their unique style, so I was not shocked by the dozens of odd light fixtures floating above me. Bright light bulbs were dangling from long, vague, wire-like fixtures. Twisted, and pretzel shaped formations danced gracefully throughout the ceiling . It was as if I was walking into a scene from Alice in Wonderland. I almost half expected the cheshirer cat to appear and explain them to me. I even imagined them lowering them selves down and wrapping around me like a serpent.    As humans, I believe that we take advantage of the little things around us. The small details that encompass our daily lives, and the moments that breath life into our imaginations
     
   Image Source: photo taken by Victoria Deely
      
      While my mind was spinning, I realized that someone had found a way to bring life to something so simple. They had created something out of nothing.  A mere light bulb was transformed into pure genesis. As Terzidis would say, “Design is a vague, ambiguous, and indefinite process of genesis, emergence or formation of something executed…the strive to capture the elusive.” (Etymology of Design, Terzidis) The light fixtures not only provided a twisted take on a lamp, literally, but the cluster of lights that hovered above me sparkled with attitude and flare. Who knew a effortless light bulb could have such vivacious design. And who knew such a thing could be transformed from a basic source of light to  an experience all in its own. Who knew creativity could blossom from without. 
For more inspiration, check out this website to see how other designers are getting creative with light.  http://www.weirdworm.com/10-weird-chandeliers/   

No comments:

Post a Comment