Sunday, October 10, 2010

Singare Marks the Spot

Image Source: http://www.loganmolen.com/storage/TacoBellSauce.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1266902660533
                                                             
     The Latin root for design comes from the word signare, a word of origin that refers to “mark making.” Cy Twonbly, a contemporary  artist, created the piece “Wilder Shores of Love,” in 1985. His recognizable talent and theme throughout his work left him with a signature style. And as Twonbly left his mark on the design society, so has Taco Bell. Yes, the same Taco Bell with the most delicious, mouth watering,  below grade food on the earth. I find myself craving a crunch wrap supreme on the best of days. Heck, I’ll be honest,  Taco Bell is a guilty pleasure of mine, (and a contributor to my  adolescent weight gain). 
     It wasn’t until a recent late night trip that I noticed something different. The Taco Bell hot sauce was trying to speak to me before I squeezed it all over my succulent grilled steak soft taco. Perhaps I am more in tune to the design that surrounds my life now that Housefield has placed his voice inside my head, but my sweet and spicy hot sauce had the text, “Ahhhh We Meet Again…” placed upon the sauce packet. Umm Excuse me?  I was unaware that Taco Bell was trying to molest me via hot sauce. However,  I found it rather humorous, and it grabbed my attention instantly. I looked amongst the other hot sauce packets, and each one had a different saying. It was clear that my precious packet was full of design. From the bold colors to, flashy font, and of course the promiscuous sayings that were draped across it. I  Was this Taco Bell’s singare? Was the small text placed upon it an attempt to make their mark? I am not sure what Taco Bell’s motives are, but I can say this… According to Kostas Terzidis, author of The Etymology of Design, “Design serves as a pivotal point of reference that identifies and categorizes.”  Taco Bell has definitely found their identifier, and they have used the tool of design to keep you coming back for more. Now when I reach for my del scorcho hot sauce from Del Taco, I cannot help but feel sorry for them. Their boring hot sauce packets have nothing on Taco Bell’s creepy, yet clever marketing. So I salute you Taco Bell. You have left your mark on not only the “fast food nation,” but the hungry designer in each of us. 


To find out more about Taco Bell and their funny slogans visit http://tbell.bfxmedia.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment