Monday, November 15, 2010

What's Next???


Image Source: http://www.kinectforxbox360.co.uk/kinect-xbox.jpg
     As soon as I thought our technology couldn’t get anymore advanced, Xbox decides to come out with something absolutely amazing and cutting edge. From the moment I saw it I new that it was something everyone has been waiting for. Years ago,  when Wii came out with a hand held remote controlled gaming system, it seemed as though the makers of Wii had discovered the “Holy Grail” of video games.  Wii took over how video games were played,  and  brought families and friends together with the click of a button.
     That all changed a couple days ago, when the makers of Xbox released what is called Kinect. Unlike Wii, it requires no remotes, or hand held devices. It locates your body position with a small black box placed next to your TV and uses your body movements to direct the game. A friend of mine asked me to try it out a couple days ago, and I had questionable thoughts about it all. How could something so small pick of my body movements so quickly and produce those movements through a computer generated character on the screen? I was asked to played volleyball through Kinect and was extremely skeptical. There was no way it was going to be accurate and quick enough. I expected many delays. However,  I was AMAZED by how clear and precise this system was. It picked up my movements exactly, and is able to locate two people at a time for 2-person play.
This design has raised the bar for our technology, and has only made consumers hungry for more. If makers of Kinect are able to produce such an amazing product, then what is expected to come years from now?

No comments:

Post a Comment